Monday, February 16, 2009

Bonnard @ the Met

After work I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art with my daughter Gillian( an art student @SUNY Purchase) to see the Pierre Bonnard show. It was in the Lehman Atrium, a nice place to see special exhibits. I loved Bonnard paintings since first seeing them back in art school, so it was a particular treat to see a large amount at once.
I was always a fan of his pattern painting, but this time I realized how wonderful his figures are. The closer they are to you, the more they blend into their surroundings, they seem to be increasingly made of energy and light, it's profound. It reminded me of something Giacometti said about when seeing a figure from across the street,you can see the whole figure but that when they come in the cafe, the closer they get to you the less you can see.

No comments: