Tuesday, December 9, 2008

MOMA P. Rist Projections


Next thing I wanted to see was a projection piece in the giant room on the second floor. At work we fabricated the projector covers for this piece, a Pipolotti Rist video installation The covers are 14' diameter circular bubbles protruding from the wall. The video projections take up the entire wall surface and were filmed through a convex lens so the images are mind-bendingly close up images of flowers and people. There is a large circular sofa/bed sculpture so everyone can lay down and experience the overpowering vision. It's some what psychedelic and some what ecological. The color is so liberating that at a certain point there were young women leaping in front of the walls so they could have their picture taken flying on the field of color.

3 comments:

Elliot said...

I was very impressed with the covers over the projectors them selves. It looked to me like the projectors just bulged from the walls.

Bill Riley said...

I thought the seams within the bubble was more noticeable than I wished for.

Bill Riley said...

Okay i just read the Pipilotti section and then the Bueys. I have to say i have a lot of questions, i'm trying to organize them...pipilloti, i didn't totally understand what you meant about the 14' circular bubbles...I saw the protrusion on the wall in the show that made the image feel like it was rolling over it...it almost looked like it was being propelled but i was a little curious why it was there. was that for the projectors? i liked the description somewhat psychodelic, somewhat ecological...i thought it was also a sort of primitive that was out of touch with time or something..or almost futuristic primitivism...in the context of video...i don't know that was what was blowing my mind about it the most i think...i kept thinking, what would people 100 years ago think about this? but it seemed concious of that in some way...I wasn't sure about calling the couch a sculpture...I kind of just though it was a nicely designed couch that communicated well with the video and organized the people really well...so yeah in a sense it was a sculpture...okay i am thinking out loud really badly but i am also just having trouble with what's this and what's that recently, so it caught my attention. It was really interesting to hear that the video was shot with a convex lens...i hadn't even thought about those kinds of possibilities when i was looking at it, i just took it for what it was. anyway, i loved the show and it looked incredibly 'seemless' to me. i liked the curtains too. i think some slightly sexier pictures or picture of the hogs might have been nice to show...or the really vibrant greens, but the tulips were a good choice....i wish i could click and see it larger...just throwing that out there!
In the P.Rist exhibit the protrusions are just a way to cover the projectors but I think it's in the round disk format to mirror the couch and the convex lens photography, though that's my interpretation. The tulips were just the photo off the internet, I'd love to put a piece of video about it on the blog but I didn't conjure up the nerve yet.